Wednesday, July 12, 2006

successszzzzzzzz

Saturday was Annabel's First Birthday Party and off we went for a big family lunch. Pete had fired up his BBQ and true to South African culture cooked enough meat to feed a small army. Annabel was the belle of the ball, with a gorgeous dress and pink fairy wings to match - too cute !


Peter, Helen, Annabel and my aunt and step uncle - Ilona and Vaughan - visiting from Johannesburg.

Zack is sleeping MUCH better now. He did 6 hours all by himself last night. We put him down after his 10pm feed and he 'rang' at 4am. Now that's more like it! I think Keith's commitment to the cause has really helped. I was concerned that more sleep would affect my milk supply but I've been expressing in the mornings and trying to get Zack to feed on both sides, so all seems to be in order.


Zack had a whale of a time at Annabel's party. Lots of attention - what babies love.

He's growing a pace and we went for our first weigh-in since birth yesterday. He is a robust 7.7kgs. Not bad going for a 3.5 month old boy. You're wondering why I haven't had him weighed before ? well, it's a schlepp (A) and our GP's scale has been broken (B) and getting ourselves out of the house on a Friday, the right Friday too as it's only on alternating weeks, is a bit of a task (C). Does that suffice ? In any case, he has been getting heavier and heavier and there has been no concern from our side with regards to his 'thriving' or not. There is no doubt - he is.

Bathtime is becoming a bit of a noisy event. For some reason, Zee thinks it's best to shout ALOT when Keith tries to dress or undress him. Not sure what it is, but if mummy does it, there is no fuss. I wonder how you break these funny little habits ? It's not as if Keith is doing anything different - I've watched and it's all the same. Kids man ! Sheesh.
At least he enjoys the actual bathing. I've decided that I'm terrible at it - the times I've put him in the tub, my back feels like it's going to crumble (worse than gardening) and he's SO slippery too. I guess that's what comes from division of labour - I don't feel confident doing someone else's job. Keith is the bath meister and the boys have bonding time doing it.

We're getting into a bit of a rhythm:

7pm - feed and then when dad gets home we have a bath and go to bed
10pm - wake him for a feed
>>> hopefully he sleeps for around 5 or 6 hours (maybe 7 one day!)
7am - hungry and time for more food, if not, then
10am - wake him for food, and then onto a 3 hour cycle.
I've tried to get him to take to a 3.5 hour cycle, but he resists, so we'll continue like this for now.

Circumcision report:
Completely healed and all looking well. No more icky bits hiding in the folds.

Bathtime with Dad last night

No comments: