Thursday, August 31, 2006

K appears in....

K is a letter that has appeared alot in my life during the past week: knackered, kold, keith, karnival, kids, kelly.

I came down with a cold on the weekend and it's steadily got worse until Tuesday when I emailed Keith at work and asked him, no begged him, to come home and take over from me. Zack was crying kontinuously through the day and wouldn't settle - No idea why ! ? My head was aching, my eyes were tearing, my ears were blocked from the sinusitis, and my ears were deaf. I felt awful and I was trying to get along with freelance work while Zack slept... not a chance. Thank goodness for knights-in-shining-armour aka Super Dad. Yes, you've read about him in an earlier blog.

I'm not sorry to say, but I crashed for four hours and when I awoke, Keith had fed Zee and the cleaning lady, Kristina (this is getting ridiculous), had kome and gone. Zack had continued in his un-settledness, which was also a relief I'm sad to say, because at one point in the afternoon I'd thought I was going nuts and it was all ME. Oh no, he was the same with Dad, so I'm not going barmy or knuts.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK and this weekend was the Nottinghill Carnival. We've never made it, in seven years, so I suggested we go early and see what we could see. Keith took his camera and got some lovely shots of the parade. Zack was great and seemed to cope fine with the noise and throng. The street party was mashuga-wena (krazy) and krowded (oh, there's another k). We decided to leave mid-afternoon and escaped down to High Street Ken' for a coffee and chill-out before heading home.

Zack is still eating baby rice, but it's led to a bit of konstipation. The answer is apparently to get them to drink plenty of water. Ah huh. Well, if I could get him to not puke out the water after he's drunk it, that would be something. We'll pursue the 'solids' thing though, as I am feeling that my milk production is a bit down at the moment. I think it's the cold, and feeling a bit blue (is it those darn contraceptive pills I'm taking ? I just don't know), so it probably isn't as bad as I think it is - everything is just a bit magnified when you're not well.

Wednesday morning my brother's girlfriend arrived from Johannesburg, en route to the Isle of Man. Kelly and her mate Natasha are here on a flying sightseeing trip. Zack is always keen on new faces, so is all smiles and turning on the charm. Charlie will be pleased to hear that another earthling has been konquered !

Zack rolled over this morning for the first time. He's done plenty of twisty bits, but never managed to flip himself right over, just a leg here and an arm there. Now its the whole body. I put him down for his evening nap just now, and the next thing I heard loud squeals coming from his room. I assumed, incorrectly, that it's the usual "I've spat my dummy out and want it back Mum!!"-squeal. No, no. It's because he'd flipped himself over and then pushed himself right up to the top of his crib with his face on a teddy bear. Things are going to change from here on out... No more leaving him alone on raised surfaces.

Happy Birthday Nana !!

1 comment:

admin said...

Just wait 'til Zack gets to the stage of being able to aim what he's throwing. He's going to sit in his crib and toss everything on the floor (or the changing table if its close enough...inevitably knocking everything off) and then the squeal will mean "Mom! I'm awake & I threw all my toys away and now I want them back!" Rolling over will be a small feat then :)