Thursday, February 01, 2007

without mum

Zack started the settling in process at our local nursery school today. We were there from 9:45am - 11:15am. I was full of bravado on the weekend, thinking "this will be easy", and turning up was the easy part. Sitting in the parent's room for 2 and a half hours listening to Zack and filling in forms made me feel awfully weepy. We haven't been apart (except for a bit of babysitting) much at all since his birth, and it's all so hard for me. I know it's what I want, I know he's ready for it and he will love it, but that doesn't help the strong feelings of "Am I doing the right thing ?" and "is this too soon ?". It'll get easier I know (all the friends have told me), but right now it all seems a bit hard.

Today he learnt to twist the dial on his toy radio. He can now make the music play without my help. Another moment of independence dawns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruthie! Just wait till he starts school! Every year I see a new batch of kindergartners arrive on the school bus .. followed by numerous strange cars pulling into the parking lot to make sure the precious cargo arrives safely! The drivers pile out and stand on the sidewalk, cameras in hand recording the historic moment with many a tear discreetly sliding down a cheek.
I am sure I will be shedding the tears, just like I did in June 1999, when I see this tall lanky kid walk across the stage with his high school graduating class.