Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Night terrors


Zack wearing Kelly's UGG boots

I'm writing tonight because of the absence of something, rather than the presence of it. Zack has had episodes in the past where he's woken sometimes once, sometimes three times a night, crying uncontrollably and will not be comforted. Books call it "night terrors" but I'm not 100% convinced. Zack wakes up (or seems to be awake), but is really freaking out completely. You try and pick him up and he thrashes and twists so that you cannot hold him. Any attempts to sooth him verbally or touch him / stroke his hair, encourages more violent protestation. It's really very distressing as a parent. On the positive side however, he goes back to sleep quite quickly without more intervention, or the need for milk / a blanket.
And to conclude, it's the absence of these episodes that I'm celebrating. We haven't really had any in quite some time (remember mummies measure everything days and hours), so I'm very, very relieved. It also equates with a better night's sleep all 'round, so I'm grateful for that too.
Now all I have to get right is limiting the liquids in the evenings so we aren't waking up soaking wet. Ah potty training – I see thee but I know thee not.

No comments: