Friday, May 23, 2008

War of Wills

We have just returned from a 2.5 hour round-trip walk - I pushed the pram and Zack scooted. We got home to complete "meltdown" (toddler tantrum - screaming, crying, lying on the floor and shouting "NO!! NO!! NO!!") and I can go off my head with frustration. I am really in no state to be walking miles and miles, but someone has to take Zack out to burn off the excess energy. My left hip joint is killing me and no amount of hip/glute stretches and knee-rolls are going to fix this - believe me ! I've tried.
If anything convinces me that children, (nevermind all of mankind) are sinful, fallen creatures, it's days like today. We travel all that way - basically the entire trip is for Zack's benefit. We are doing all the things he likes doing. We stop at a coffee-shop for a frozen juice and a muffin to share. Then he scoots all around the Jubilee Mall which is a treat as the floors are marble, smooth and wide. He gets to press all the lift buttons, the pedestrian buttons, AND the disabled door buttons - mummy is VERY patient today and indulges Zack's button-pressing needs at every opportunity. He munches on an apple I brought with me and eats some of the sandwich too. He is neither hungry, nor thirsty. I changed his nappy after the coffee shop. (many boxes ticked, that might otherwise lead to bad behaviour). But, the end result is not a child that's had a good time, rather it ends in tears and tantrums.
  • He does not stop, when I call to him to "stop". He blithely scoots off out of sight - 80% of the time.
  • He does not come back, when I call him to. He'll come back if he sees that he's taken a wrong turn and we're going in a different direction to him, but that's the only instance of returning to base.
When we got home, I said he could scoot up two speed bumps in the neighbour's car park. He disappeared out of the other side of their building (60m away), and came around the block. He is two years old. Yes, we live in a cul-de-sac, but that is absolutely no reason for his disobedience. I can stand there and call and shout to him to come back, but he won't. I thought perhaps I should just take the scooter away - there have to be consequences to my pleas for him to be obedient/listen. I remember Keith reading the Baby Wise book which said we shouldn't expect our children to do things beyond their capability. I think this is a case in point. He doesn't understand that he can die, be maimed or seriously injured if he goes off on his own. YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TWO YEAR OLD !

What does Supernanny have to say ?
  • Toddlers act on impulse.
  • Toddlers do not set out to wind you up - haven't yet developed this ability.
  • They do not have a sense of time, so don't understand the concept of "waiting".
I need to work harder on 2 techniques :
  • Reinforce good behaviour with attention & praise.
  • Not make empty threats: take the scooter away if he doesn't listen (because I can't run and catch him). Have a "time out" in his bedroom, when he starts giving me lip (shouting "No") or being aggressive.
my own comments:
Boy oh boy, I can see why some parents just opt out - they let their kids run riot instead of stepping in and doing something. It is exhausting being consistent with discipline, although I know it will lead to happier, more contented and self-assured children. I wish there was a restore button I could press when I'm starting to lose it. I would be happier with myself and I think Zack would respond better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ruth
This is Ryan & Lanelle writing to say we feel your pain.
Ryan says :
I think Zack & Cezanne must be swapping notes and learning from one another. We went off to the growing place ( nursery ) today - in fact this is how we do it now - I watch Cezanne while Lanelle tries to get things done. I had to keep her entertained, she does not sit still, she wants to run around, she does not want to keep her shoes on, she wants to play in the water and the sand, she does not want to hold my hand, she does not want to walk with Daddy, she does not want to see what Mommy is doing, she does not come when called, she will go off on her own and I am too scared to just let her go, although some days I almost want to...
Lanelle says :
The other morning I found myself yelling so hard I thought I was going to have a Hernia. She asked for grapes, I gave them and then she did not want to eat them, the same with the oats and then when she did the same with the strawberries I had just about as much as I could take. My yelling of course led to a tantrum and breakfast was a gonner. Well what I can I say, You have good days and bad days and we still love her. You have all my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Wonder why they don't have a training course on child raising - BC (before children)?!
My memories of the same behavior go back nineteen or more years!
Hang in there, sweetie!