Sunday, January 18, 2009

unhappy puppy

You could say that I am grumpy. I don't think that I've ever had a "cold" (NHS for viral infection) that has been this painful before IN MY LIFE. My throat and sinuses are so sore that I want to just start drinking & sniffing anaesthetic. I feel like the back of my throat is covered in lesions - every swallow is excruciating. The inside of my mouth feels like I've burnt it, which makes me wonder whether I don't have oral thrush - I caught it from Zack when he was very small, so I do have some memory of that experience. The one good thing is that my nose is relatively clear, so I can actually breath. But that's where it stops. I took a good look at myself in the mirror this afternoon and thought, "hell, you look like you're on cortisone" - my throat is so swollen that it looks like the underside of my chin and neck have fused. I can't sniff because it's so sore, but blowing my nose is just as painful.
Hey, did I mention that my ears ache too ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had that a while ago. It was pretty bad and when it showed no signs of getting better and I went to see a nurse in case it was something worse than a cold (no chance of seeing a GP of course!) I was told off for bothering the NHS with something so insignificant. Apparently I should have waited until I was drooling and completely unable to swallow.

Mama Feline said...

This is ludicrous! You clearly need some strong medication. Where else can you go if not the NHS to get the medical care and medication that you need?? In the meantime perhaps try the "homemade" remedies like warm honey lemon drinks, zinc throat lozenges and disprin are also amazing.
So sorry for you Ruth - that really is very very nasty