Sunday, April 16, 2006

wednesday must be mastitis

What a week this has been. Everything was going so well - just peachy in fact - and then Wednesday hit. I had to get up early because the electrician was coming over to repair the intercom system (it's taken me the better part of 2 months to get him to come and finish a job he started before Christmas, sigh). Then at 10am I had to dash off to Hackney so that I could register Zack's birth at the Town Hall. Took me a couple of laps to find parking, then had to cart the car seat a few blocks (running late by now) to the main doors. Thankfully they were very relaxed and directed me to the little office where we filled in all the necessary forms. I retrospect I should have taken the 277 bus from Canary Wharf, but I didn't think of that at the time.
On the way home again, I started feeling the most awful pain in my left breast, and thought that rather than putting it off I should go and see the doctor. Not having an appointment and just turning up on the doorstep of your GP's practice is not how the NHS do things, so I had to go onto a waiting list. Thankfully they had a doctor on call, so while I fed Zack, I could wait (on site) for the call. He rang me within ten minutes and was surprised to hear that I was still in the building. He took a very quick look and listened to my symptoms, only to confirm that I have mastitis.
It sucks !
Cabbage leaves have become my best friends, and although I pushed through and avoided taking the antibiotics for 2 days, I am now well into the course and will have to finish them by the end of this week. I hope it's making a difference - the pain and heat have certainly subsided.
Then to make things worse I started running a nasty temperature, so I came home and shook violently for about an hour, fed Zack, then waited for keith to come home. After that it was lots of sleep and sweating it out. It really does work.

Now Zack has a nasty little cold in his nose and snuffles his way through the day. He isn't his usual upbeat self - really very mizz and anxious. I do hope it's a mild one, and he'll be over it soon. Poor little chap.

No comments: