Monday, May 22, 2006

mastitis roundabout

zack is now 8 weeks + 2 days old. I have managed to come down with mastitis again and this time it's been N-A-S-T-Y!!! I had a raging temperature from Friday evening until Sunday morning. Life seems to turn into a haze of sweat, shivering, feeding baby and trying desperately to sleep. Not nice at all. I thought the worst was over and went out for a lovely lunch with friends yesterday afternoon. I felt great.
Then last night when I got to bed after the midnight feed - so that's almost ten to one - I started feeling chilly again. Thankfully I could snuggle up to Keith and drift in and out of sleep. But I kept waking drenched in sweat, knowing I needed to get up and feed Zack. Yuck ! yuck ! yuck !

I don't wish mastitis on anyone, it is just revolting.

Amazingly, when I rang the doctor's rooms this morning they'd had a cancellation and could see me at noon. (what are the chances on the NHS???) So off I toddled, and now I'm on another stint of antibiotics. This time a heavier dose than before, and I'm hoping the penicillin kicks the infection for good.

Zack has been steadfast in his feeding though, so that's made things easier. He is happy to feed on both breasts and I'm going to try and express from the infected breast to try and clear the infection. The doctor tells me that mastitis is an infection of the tissue, so there is no cross-over to the actual milk supply. It makes sense, but I think all mums worry.

Wonderful news : more babies in the world !

Luke Andre de Oude - 14th May 2006
a baby boy for Walt and Cindy in Singapore

Patrick James de Oude - 22nd May 2006
a baby boy for Eric and Emma in Guildford, UK and a cousin to Luke

How awesome !

No comments: