Friday, January 26, 2007

too much tellie ?

Should you let your infant watch television ? Everyone starts out with fixed ideas on television consumption, and things tend to go awry from birth +
I didn't really think very hard about the issue. My parents let us watch one TV show when we were 6 years old (that's when tellie started in good ol' SA), and it was Rupert the Bear. Most of my television watching was monitored and restricted to certain times. On the other hand, I never watched much TV before I had a baby. Then I was up at all sorts of crazy hours, breastfeeding for 45 minutes at a stretch. Mind-numbingly dull. I'd pop on the tellie and watch the episodes of Countdown that I'd missed, and catch up on the news (Hell, there was a world outside my front door). Now that Zack is nearly a year, I notice that I flick the TV on at around 5pm, and we drift on through Zack's dinner until Keith gets home for bath-time. Some afternoons we even watch Lazytown earlier than that. It sounds like some sort of [blush] confession, which of course it is.
I think my biggest concern is that I'll be slack and not always watch what's on the box. I really want to preserve Zack's innocence and there IS alot of crap on TV in 2007. The broadcasters can't be trusted to make good choices, so you have to.
Many of my more responsible friends only allow their children to watch DVDs. I suppose that's the most controlled option. At least you know what's going in, AND you avoid the commercials. I don't want Zack sucked into the competitive world of toy shopping just yet.
It's so easy to just opt out and drift along without a plan, but I need to have one in place for the next few years. At least until he's more conscious and discerning. Probably another 12 years then ?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I can sympathize with this problem. i often leave the tv on when I am home for some background noise. Since Cezanne arival I had to make an effort to put in on our local PBS channel. They have "good" Childrens programs on during the day like noddy and Clifford, but I am still worried about it. Lanelle