Saturday, February 18, 2012

dangerous objects

walking in the snow in Burnham Wood last weekend.
Yes - that's me carrying Calvin's bike


So Calvin and Zack are interested in sharp knives AND fire. The latter because the electric ignition on our gas stove has gone on the blink, so we're using matches every time we cook anything. The former because they've observed the difference cutting with their kiddie implements and my kitchen knives has made. This week I had Calvin (now 3 1/2) cutting up carrots with a large knife - under supervision of course (for all your web trolls), and Zack slicing oranges and orange peels. It freaks me out completely and I think that's the end of that exercise, but isn't it interesting how children are drawn to these things ?

Someone once said to me that childhood is a long succession of near-death experiences. I guess that's one way of looking at it.

It made me think of a collection of children's stories I discovered about 10 years ago : Struwwel Peter. The stories were written more than 150 years ago and drive home the "if you do this, then that will happen to you" - usually death or punishment. Wowzer! How did I end up on such a bleak note? There are better ways to teach children safety in the home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was about 9, I really wanted a "Daisy BB" - an air pellet rifle. Not particularly dangerous, but in the hands of a child, you could still hurt someone. I remember my father calling me in to the lounge the one Sat afternoon, and making me read a newspaper article about a child who by mistake blinded his brother because he wasn't being careful with an air rifle.

My father asked me repeatedly whether I understood how dangerous guns were, and asking me to suggest a 'lesson' from the article. I was confused, but I definitely understood the message.

Next thing, my father brought out a Daisy BB from under the sofa, which he gave to me. I was always extremely careful about that rifle when I used it - I guess that lesson really helped!

Greg