Wednesday, January 04, 2006

27 + 6 all is well

We had our "26 week" antenatal appointment this morning. We missed the actual 26 week appointment because my brain has turned to mush and I hadn't put it in the diary. It was also the week that I went to the cardiologist and I was completely focused on the outcome of that session.

They listened to the baby's heartbeat, while it kicked away, and then I had some bloods taken - results at next visit. Keith's a honey and drove me to the hospital and back again. He's concerned and involved which is very kind - it is during office hours after all.

It sounds like we'll get to meet the midwife team in about six weeks time. The Homerton have a team of around 50 midwives and you get whoever is on duty when you're in labour. The consultant said that they'd have a "walk around" the labour ward closer to the due date. It's a bit wierd knowing that we won't have met the person who's going to take us through the birth of our child, but then I also think that you can't focus too much on the hours of labour and birth. They must do what they're good at - midwives, obstetricians, et al. We'll have a consultant on hand because of the cardio risk, but I'm hoping that because of the "all clear" from my cardiologist, it'll minimise their intervention. Keith and I are both feeling positive about the delivery, we have no reason to be concerned. All the tests and the fetal activity are normal.

I spoke to Jacqui Archer (mum of 2) yesterday and she said Keith should have a good suck of the 'gas and air' / Entonox during labour, if I'm having it... not bad advice for any father who's on hand, and a little stressed out.

Things I must get to this week : find out about maternity pay, make a dental appointment (free for pregnant mums), make enquiries about schooling and day-care in the surrounding areas.

No comments: