Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ggrrrrr.....

Bloody NHS !
I saw the midwife a week ago, and she seemed concerned that the baby was 'breech' at this point in time. I'm not overly concerned because in my mind there still seems to be oodles of time for it to turn (and I have placenta previa - tho' mildly so). To the point tho' : she wanted me to go for an urgent scan to make sure all is well. Fine ! I have the scan request in my hands - a copy of which was sent to the ultrasound dept. It has now been a week and I've heard nothing. I actually have a scan booked for 2 weeks time (standard procedure - 36 weeks), so again, I'm not freaking out. What makes me mad tho' is the whole attitude of the medical profession here : it's not my problem ! I rang up the midwives today and explained it all, and asked if I should chase it. 'Yes,' says she, 'here's the phone number.' Basically - she can't be bothered, and unless I'm in labour, the baby is in distress or I'm bleeding to death, that's it. So why all the concern in the first place ? Why bother if no-one else is going to bother ? It all reeks of box-ticking to me (ie. if anything goes wrong, they can say they did what they could, and the hospital failed to follow-up).
My options at this point:
1. push for this scan as soon as
2. call the midwife and make her do the phoning (and her job)
3. leave it and go for my 36 week scan

I'm struck that in this day and age, most obstetricians have no experience in dealing with breech births because the "easy option" of a c-section is always there. Why try and do it the hard way, when you can just slice ? Their answer is the hippocratic oath - risk to mother and child. They don't need the experience, because statistics have told them that c-sections are safer. The only problem there is that, out of fear, I might get booked in for a c-section, and then the baby turns in time for natural delivery (and shorter recovery period by the way). On this point tho', I'm hoping the baby will turn before we get to D-day with c-sections.
I could try and give it a bit of help too.... tho' some of this stuff sounds laughable. Clothes peg anyone ?

There's so much info, and support on the 'net which backs up my gut-feel to let things go until 38 weeks, I don't see the point of freaking out and trying to intervene too soon. I guess that means : Watch this Space!

ps. my neighbour returned home within 24 hours and is doing fine. There doesn't seem to be any complications with her pregnancy. Thank the Lord !

Wow! News :
I'm letting all these frustrations eclipse an extremely important moment in the mother-child bond. Zack said, "I love you mommy" for the very first time today. Un-initiated and accompanied by a hug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who lay upside down on an ironing board (supposedly an old-wives-tale) to turn the baby and it worked ... so you never know! We'll be praying that baby turns soon.