Friday, August 22, 2008

A good week

Zack is much better after a week of Amoxycilin, and has been quite delightful these past few days. Keith's managed to come home earlier than usual, which has also been a big help.

We had our 36 week scan yesterday morning and there was good news : baby's head has engaged, and we are facing the right way for "the exit". The sonographer managed to get this rather sweet 'shadow' view of the baby's face, and what is his hand (looks like an odd jewel resting against his chin). We also had confirmation that he is still a boy - in case anyone thought there was a mistake on the first take.
Only problem now - and it's something I have NO control over - is that the placenta continues to be low lying (placenta praevia). This means that the placenta is actually covering the opening of the cervix, so there would be severe bleeding if I went into natural labour. They've decided I can have another week to see if it changes, but after that I will have to have a c-section.

I have mixed feelings about it all. On the one hand, I'm relaxed because the medical profession have experience in these things, and know what to do for both mum & baby's safety. I am fearful of c-section recovery times though, as I've only heard bad news - most people take months if not a year to recover fully from it. How am I going to cope with a 19 kg toddler, a pram that needs to be lifted in and out of the car, etc etc? I just can't. Hmmm...

I'm also a bit sad to not have the use of the new birthing centre. It would be great to have the baby there. What a pity ! And the alternative - having the baby at the Royal London, is not exactly a fair trade... the place is a HOLE. I feel more and more negative about going there with every article I read, and every conversation I have. All I hear is about how TERRIBLE the after-birth care is. And this is at a time when I'm going to need it most. What can I do ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ruth, Why can't you use the new birthing centre? Sorry we in the States are not privy to all this info and I was curious.