Monday, August 25, 2008

standing still

Keith and Zack cavort on Tina's lawn in the sunshine

It's a long weekend here in the UK, and I decided that I'd had enough of the waiting game... and took myself off to the Birthing Centre today at noon to talk to the midwife about the scan results. They were in the middle of two complicated deliveries so asked me to return at 6pm.
Once there, the midwife was happy to listen to my concerns, looked over the notes and scan results, and said that what was written was inconclusive and unclear. Not only that, but the scan printouts that were included do not indicate clearly where the placenta ends and the cervix begins - there are no measurements, there are just two labels - "Placenta" and "Cervix/Os". What's the point of that ? If we don't know that the placenta is 1cm, 2cm, 3cm from the cervix, we don't know anything. It's all just annoyingly vague.
So now we're back to square one : I don't know if I'm at risk. I don't know if I'm in line for a c-section. I don't know if I'm allowed to still have the baby at the Barkantine Birthing Centre if everything is OK. One things for certain though, the midwife said if I go into labour in the next week, I should go straight to the hospital rather than going to the Birthing Centre. How gloomy !
My plan of action is to try and get an appointment with a consultant at the Royal London and/or St Guy's & St Thomas' (near London Bridge) in the next few days, so that we can get the wheels turning. Both Keith and I feel that waiting around for the sonographer to blow the whistle on placenta praevia (on Friday 29th Aug), only brings us a week closer to the inevitable and consequently fewer options.
Wish me luck !

No comments: