Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It never rains...

What a week ! With Keith away in the States and Kelly (our regular baby-sitter) on holiday it was one crazy, full on, 24hours a day week. Zack came down with a temperature on Wednesday evening - wouldn't eat and was burning up - we were up every 45 minutes thru the night. He seemed better on Thursday and then the temperature came and went over the weekend. Keith got back on Saturday morning, and Saturday night I managed to get a few extra hours of solid sleep. By Monday morning Zack wasn't any better, so we headed down to the doctor's for a look-see. As it turns out he has an ear-infection. I had expected to hear viral-'something', but hadn't guessed it was his ears. He isn't on antibiotics yet, just paracetamol 6-hourly, so we're hoping he'll fight it off himself. He did a lot of sweating last night, so his immune system is fighting hard - this all a good thing. He still isn't eating much tho', which makes any parent worry.
Kelly came back from her holiday with the news that she's going to be a full-time nanny for a family and can't baby-sit for us anymore. She's been baby-sitting Zack for more than a year - before he could walk. I'm sad for Zack as he could do with some continuity when his baby brother comes along, and he asked me yesterday when we'd be seeing Kelly next ? It drives home the relational bond that's developed between the two of them. But I can't expect Kelly to stay on forever - she needs to make decisions about her life, and move forward with her career. I know she's had to give this a lot of thought. Yes, the timing isn't the best (then I ask myself: when is it?), but my mum will be here in September to give Zack extra attention, so that'll be a good thing. It will give us a window to find a new baby-sitter and possibly a nanny too (hopefully one and the same if I can organise it). That'll really help me with the workload and my ability to cope from week-to-week.

No comments: